32 bit programs won't run in Windows 7
My sony vaio laptop with pre-installed Windows 7 (home premium) was running fine till I shut it down on 29th December 2010 late night.
When I started the machine on 30th December 2010 I observed that neither internet explorer nor Google chrome was starting
(when I clicked the icon nothing happened).
I then searched for solutions online.
After sometime I observed that no program in "my programs (x86)" folder was running.
I then tried internet explorer (64 bit) and it started successfully.
I therefore concluded
that my system is not running 32 bit programs now.
I checked for viruses and spyware also but the system came out clean.
Prior to shutting the system down on 29th I didn't install any new program etc.
I have tried many forums, I found similar problem on one microsoft support website but no solution was posted there.
I will really appreciate some help in this matter.
Thanks a lot.
Syed - Canada
Solutions to the Problem 32 bit programs won't run in Windows 7
Thanks for your response.
I actually ran this command earlier too but no integrity violations were detected.
However, the problem seems to have been corrected.
I ran the action center detection from control panel > trouble shooting.
It detected a malware
(browserModifier:Win32/Zwangi) and removed it.
After that the system seems to be working fine and stable.
Thanks again for your help.
Syed - Canada
Manually editing the Windows registry
Manually editing the Windows registry to remove invalid MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION keys is not recommended unless you are PC service professional. Incorrectly editing your registry can stop your PC from functioning and create irreversible damage to your operating system. In fact, one misplaced comma can prevent your PC from booting entirely!
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To manually repair your Windows registry, first you need to create a backup by exporting a portion of the registry related to MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (eg. Windows Operating System):
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Another Safe way to Repair the Problem: 32 bit programs won't run in Windows 7:
How to Fix 32 bit programs won't run in Windows 7 with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download Error Fixer . Install it on your computer. Open it, and it will scan your computer. The junk files will be shown in the list.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. When the Fixing part is done, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been removed
Read More: Troubleshooting:2 problems with Vista and mail on new laptop Error,How Can You Fix - 2nd Monitor not working at full resolution since upgrading to windows 8.1?,Solution to Problem: 2 Webpages that I visit without any problems using IE7 are causing D.E.P. on my pc to close IE8,How to Fix Error - 4GB RAM Problem in Windows 7 X86?,4 x 6 index card in word does not print correctly Tech Support,2 hyperlinks 1 cell,2 warnings 'Load Library